Ruth Smith

Individual, Couple, and Family Therapist

Please contact us today or complete our "Request Your First Counselling Session" form to schedule your first counselling session with Ruth Smith.

The reasons for seeking counselling are as varied as are people themselves. Difficulties come to everyone, and I believe that when you seek support, as an individual, couple, or family, you act in faith toward both yourself and others. I appreciate the courage it takes to reach out in hope despite what has moved you to do so. You may be facing a crisis, or be motivated by a less urgent but profound desire to change an ongoing issue.  My aim is to help you actively explore and use your resources, both within and without, to help you meet the challenges you face, and move toward the change you desire.

 I have experience working with clients from a variety of cultural backgrounds with issues, including anxiety, depression, abuse, trauma, relationships, and more. I look forward to working with you.

CFCS Therapist Ruth Smith

Ruth joined CFCS toward the end of 2018 as an individual and couple therapist. She is a Registered Psychotherapist and a Psycho-Spiritual Therapist through CASC (Canadian Association of Spiritual Care).

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about CFCS Therapists:

A psychotherapist (also commonly referred to as a “therapist” or a “counsellor”) helps with emotional and mental health problems in individuals, couples, and families through a variety of therapeutic approaches.  In 2007, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) defined psychotherapists in Ontario as “regulated health professionals,” which means that all psychotherapists in Ontario need to be licensed members of the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO) and to utilize the formal title of “Registered Psychotherapist (RP).”

A Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) holistically believes that your relationships with others (for example, with your family members) represent an essential aspect of your life and personal well-being and that your counselling process is more effective if he or she fully considers all of your relationships within her or her treatment plan for you.  A Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) is a Pre-Clinical Fellow within the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT).

A psychotherapist (also commonly referred to as a “therapist” or a “counsellor”) helps with emotional and mental health problems in individuals, couples, and families through numerous therapeutic modalities.  A psychologist may work in a variety of possible roles, from teaching psychology courses in universities and engaging in academic research to counselling clients and administering advanced psychological assessments.  A psychiatrist specializes in the diagnosis and treatment (mainly through psychotropic medication) of mental or psychiatric disorders.  A social worker helps people to resolve issues of everyday life (including through counselling services) and to access government and community resources.

No, your therapist is not a medical doctor and cannot prescribe medication.  To obtain a prescription for medication, please speak with your family doctor or request a referral for an appointment with a psychiatrist.