Father Pishoy Wasfy

Individual, Couple, and Family Therapist

Please contact us today or complete our "Request Your First Counselling Session" form to schedule your first counselling session with Father Pishoy Wasfy.

I have been a core committee member of Train the Trainer project in Peel, a program, which focused on the prevention of domestic violence in Arabic-Speaking families.  I am also a trained facilitator of “Prepare and Enrich” seminars for couples (pre- and post-marital).  I have a passion for serving multi-cultural couples/families as well as adolescents.  I enjoy counseling individuals, couples and families as well as caring pastorally for them.  I speak in youth and family conferences both locally and internationally as well as conduct parenting series through FOCUS Family Meeting at the Canadian Coptic Center.

CFCS Therapist Fr. Pishoy Wasfy

I am a Coptic Orthodox Priest who serves at the Coptic Orthodox Cathedral of the Virgin Mary & St. Athanasius in Mississauga, Ontario since 2003.  I am a Registered Psychotherapist (RP) in Ontario and a Pre-Clinical Fellow with the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT). I am a staff counsellor at Cornerstone Family Counselling Services (CFCS) since November 2010, where I enjoy counselling individuals, couples and families. I operate with a Family Systems and Christian worldviews and utilize an integrative approach in therapy using diverse therapeutic modalities such as Solution-Focused, Narrative, Cognitive-Behavioural, Experiential, and Structural. In addition, I have completed an externship in Emotional-Focused Couples Therapy (EFCT).

I graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy from the University of Toronto (1996). I completed a Masters of Divinity (MDiv.)in Clinical Counselling (2010) from Tyndale University College & Seminary and a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD.) with high distinction in Christian Counselling (2017) from Trinity College of The Bible & Theological Seminary (USA) with a focus on inter-racial couples/families. I am a recipient of the 2010 Award of Excellence through Tyndale Seminary in recognition of my passion for mentorship and promise in theological reflection.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about CFCS Therapists:

A psychotherapist (also commonly referred to as a “therapist” or a “counsellor”) helps with emotional and mental health problems in individuals, couples, and families through a variety of therapeutic approaches.  In 2007, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) defined psychotherapists in Ontario as “regulated health professionals,” which means that all psychotherapists in Ontario need to be licensed members of the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO) and to utilize the formal title of “Registered Psychotherapist (RP).”

A Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) holistically believes that your relationships with others (for example, with your family members) represent an essential aspect of your life and personal well-being and that your counselling process is more effective if he or she fully considers all of your relationships within her or her treatment plan for you.  A Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) is a Pre-Clinical Fellow within the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT).

A psychotherapist (also commonly referred to as a “therapist” or a “counsellor”) helps with emotional and mental health problems in individuals, couples, and families through numerous therapeutic modalities.  A psychologist may work in a variety of possible roles, from teaching psychology courses in universities and engaging in academic research to counselling clients and administering advanced psychological assessments.  A psychiatrist specializes in the diagnosis and treatment (mainly through psychotropic medication) of mental or psychiatric disorders.  A social worker helps people to resolve issues of everyday life (including through counselling services) and to access government and community resources.

No, your therapist is not a medical doctor and cannot prescribe medication.  To obtain a prescription for medication, please speak with your family doctor or request a referral for an appointment with a psychiatrist.