Our Informed Consent for Online Counselling
Our Informed Consent for Online Counselling:
- Due to COVID-19, CSFC is temporarily offering online therapy to existing clients. We plan to return to face-to-face therapy after we receive word from the government and public health officials that it is safe to do so.
- The limits of confidentiality discussed in your first session apply to online therapy.
- Online therapy may not be as complete as face-to-face services.
- You have the right to withdraw consent for online counselling at any time without affecting your rights to further care.
- If either of us thinks you would be better served by face-to-face counselling services, we can discuss this and decide to wait until we can resume in-person therapy.
- The video counselling service complies with the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA), The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and all equivalent personal health information protection legislation in Canada.
- Video consultations are encrypted and the content of the video is never recorded or stored anywhere.
- There are risks to online therapy, including the possibility that, despite best efforts to ensure high encryption and secure video transmission software, the transmission of your personal information could be disrupted or distorted by technical failures, and the transmission of your personal information could be interrupted by unauthorized persons.
- Minimal personal information is required to use the system (only name and email). This data is completely private between providers and their clients.
- You are responsible for ensuring that your computer is secure.
- There is the risk of being overheard by anyone near you if you’re not in a private room.
- Audio or video recording of any portion of the session without prior approval is not allowed.
- If the video conferencing technology is not working properly, we can complete the session over the phone or end the session earlier than usual.
- Payment arrangements will be made at the beginning of the session through PayPal. No shows and late cancellation fees will apply as per regular procedure.
- Payment information will be visible to the accounting staff at The Church of The Virgin Mary and Saint Athanasius. To protect your privacy, the accounting staff have signed a confidentiality agreement.